Since I was little girl I was obsessed with traveling, both my dad and brother are pilots which made the feeling obviously even stronger but working in a airline was never really a suggestion. Until I sort of lost a game with my dad that told me I should apply to Emirates. In November 2013 I took the step and in February 2014 I got hired as cabin crew for Emirates. Since I’m now an ex cabin crew and I still receive lots of messages about applying, the steps, and the lifestyle I will make a monthly post about my experiences with Emirates. Today I start with the open days of Emirates which are located all over the world.
Before you are applying to join the open day or your planning to visit an open day, ask yourself first these questions:
- Is your level of English good enough? During my casting there was a girl and she couldn't even speak English, of course she got sent home right away.
- Are you able to be without your family for at least 3 - 9 months? In my case I didn't see my mom for 8 months.
- Are you prepared to spend every single day with new people, new cultures, new believes and new values?
- Do you think your body is healthy enough to travel today to Australia (15 hours flight + 3 hours preparing), be back 45 hours later and travel only 2 night after to Stockholm, Sweden while you still have a jetlag and basically just slept around two night on a 5 day trip?
- If somebody would call you now and tell you you have to be ready in 1 hour to go to Los Angeles, USA which is 16 hours and you couldn't sleep last night, are you able to stay at least 20 more hours awake with a little break of 2 hours?
- Are you prepared to go outside of your comfort zone?
- And last but not least: did you even ever traveled outside of your village/city? Remember that it’s a big change and especially moving to the middle east is for a lot of people a big cultural shock.
On my next post I will tell you all what happens during this casting/open day and how prepared you have to be!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and to check #KimberleyDeniseAroundTheWorld to see all the Emirates posts.